Applications & User Cases
Alicona measurement solutions enable the automated measurement of cooling holes, verification of edge preparation at the blade root and air foil, roughness measurement for optimization of coating processes, optimization of milling and cutting processes of hard-to-machine materials, such as titanium, composites and heat-resistant alloys, edge measurement and geometric verification of turbine disc fir-tree roots, incoming goods inspection and failure analysis, testing, materials research and process optimization, quality assurance of various materials and geometries, e.g., thread, bearing parts, engine and transmission components, sealing, shafts and more.
“With Alicona we know if a component is okay and if it lies within specified tolerances and a wide measuring range makes each of our components measurable.”
Brett Manwill, Reliability/Design Engineer, Roush Yates Engines
Improving performance through defect detection and edge break measurement
Edge Break Measurement
Especially for critical aircraft engine parts such as turbine disks, it is safety-relevant that the break edges lie within defined tolerances. To prevent high stress and damaged parts, Alicona optical 3D metrology is used to ensure that the break edge geometry corresponds to specifications.
- Measurement of minimum radius to make sure it is not too small and analysis whether the machined profile is within the tolerance zone
- Measurements can be performed directly on the component using the robot-based measurement solutions Alicona Cobots
- Measurement procedure and optical scanning sequences are fully automated so that user influence is reduced
Non-Destructive Defect Measurement in MRO
3D measurements enable to detect and quantify defects on surfaces and edges on all kinds of components.
- Area-based 3D measurement and visualization of defects and scratches, including length, depth, volume and height steps
- Alicona Cobots allow measurements not only to be carried out on a replica but also on the part itself. To measure the component the cobot can be manually guided to the required measurement position.